- Cho, George, 2005. Geographic Information Science: Mastering the Legal Issues.
- NRC, 2004. Licensing Geographic Data and Services. National Academy Press: Washington, D.C.
- Longhorn, R.A., Hensen-Apollonio, V., and J. White, 2002. Legal Issues in the Use of Geospatial Data and Tools for Agriculture and Natural Resource Management. Rockefeller Foundation and CGIAR.
- Onsrud, Harlan, 2010. SIE 525 Information Systems Law (links to course notes, video, readings, etc)
- Onsrud, Harlan, 2000. First Readings in GIS Law Website.
- Pomfret, Kevin, 2010. What is Spatial Law?
- Croswell, Peter and Alex Wernher, 2004. GIS Program Revenue Generation and Legal Issues in Public Sector Organizations. URISA.
Ethics in GIS
- Michael Blakemore and Roger Longhorn, 2004. Ethics and GIS: A Practitioner’s Dilemma.
- Craig, Will, 1993. A GIS Code of Ethics: What We Can Learn from Other Organizations.
- Onsrud, Harlan, 2010. Implementing Geographic Information Technologies Ethically
- Terry, Geney et al., 2007. Ethics for GIS Professionals.
- Quinn, M. 2010. Ethics for the Information Age (4th Edition), New York: Addison-Wesley, ISBN: 0132133873.
- AAG, 2009. Geographic Information Ethics: Special Session of AAG 2009
- Ethical Guidance for Pervasive and Ethical IT Blog
Ethics in Crowd-sourcing / Crowd-mapping
- Zittrain, Jonathan, 2009. Minds for Sale: Ubiquitous Human Computing and the Future of the Internet
- Raymond, Nathan, Howarth, Caitlin, and Hutson, Jonathan, 2012. Crisis Mapping Needs an Ethical Compass
- Meier, Patrick, 2012. Stranger than Fiction: A Few Words About an Ethical Compass for Crisis Mapping
- Ayala Iacucci, Anahi, 2012. Data Protection Standards 2.0
- Ayala Iacucci, Anahi et al., 2011 [Updated Feb 2012]. The Security and Ethics of Live of Live Mapping in Repressive Regimes and Hostile Environments
GIS Codes of Ethics
- Practical Ethics in Participatory GIS/Public Participation GIS (PPGIS.net)
- GISCI GIS Code of Ethics
- GISCorps Code of Conduct
Social Media and Government
- Center for Technology in Government, 2010. Exploring Value in Social Media.
- Center for Technology in Government, 2010. Designing Social Media Policy for Government: Eight Essential Elements.
- Center for Technology in Government, 2010. Exploratory Social Media Project Phase I: Identifying benefits and concerns surrounding use of social media in government.
- OMB, 2010. Social Media, Web-Based Interactive Technologies, and the Paperwork Reduction Act, Memorandum dated April 7, 2010.
- IBM, 2011. How Federal Agencies Can Effectively Manage Records Created Using New Social Media Tools.
- National Archives Blog, 2010. Are these Records?
- O’Leary, John. 2010. Social Media in the Public Sector, Governing.
Mapping and Disaster Management:
- NRC, 2007. Successful Response Starts with a Map: Improving Geospatial Support for Disaster Management. National Academy Press: Washington, D.C.
- NRC, 2007. Tools and Methods for Estimating Populations at Risk from Natural Disasters and Complex Humanitarian Crisis. National Academy Press: Washington, D.C.
Mapping and Privacy:
- NRC, 2007. Putting People on the Map: Protecting Confidentiality with Linked Social-Spatial Data. National Academy Press: Washington, D.C.