On the power and perils of “preemptive government”
By Alex Howard, O’Reilly Strata, February 208, 2013
The last time [Alex] spoke with Stephen Goldsmith, he was the Deputy Mayor of New York City, advocating for increased use of “citizensourcing,” where government uses technology tools to tap into the distributed intelligence of residents to understand – and fix – issues around its streets, on its services and even within institutions. In the years since, as a professor at the Ash Center for Democratic Governance and Innovation at the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University, the former mayor of Indianapolis has advanced the notion of “preemptive government.”
for full text of this article and to list to the interview, please visit On the power and perils of “preemptive government” – Strata.
- On the power and perils of preemptive government (strata.oreilly.com)
Tags: Alex Howard, Ash Center for Democratic Governance and Innovation, Big Data, Citizenville, civic engagement, Crowdsourcing, Future, government, Haiti, Harvard University, Innovation, John F. Kennedy School of Government, Mayor of New York City, Prediction, Privacy, Public Participation, SMEM, Social Media, Stephen Goldsmith, Technology
Lea Shanley is the Founder and former Director of the Commons Lab of the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars. She is currently serving as a Presidential Innovation Fellow at NASA and GSA's 18F innovation team on crowdsourcing and citizen science.
Disclaimer: This is a personal blog of links to relevant news, events, and reports, provided for educational purposes only. The opinions and views contained therein are those only of the authors of the original articles. These opinions do not necessarily reflect those of the editor of this blog or or associated organizations.
- RT @CitSciAssoc: 9 Things to be grateful for about #citizenscience | @CitSciAssoc blog from Board Chair Greg Newman @CitSci #citsi https://… 8 hours ago
- RT @SciDevNet: Participatory design is explored in this feature on #humanitarian #architecture - an emerging field bit.ly/1XilAQo … 1 day ago
- Get involved in the Sustainable Development Goals are create your own project! wilsoncommonslab.org/2015/11/20/get… https://t.co/y2kSzXp8bi 1 week ago
- Get involved in the Sustainable Development Goals are create your own project! wilsoncommonslab.org/2015/11/20/get… https://t.co/3kqXr7trtW 1 week ago
- 121,369 hits