Digital Fuel of the 21st Century: Innovation through Open Data and the Network Effect
The Information Revolution by Jenny Li Fowler, Harvard Kennedy School, January 20, 2012
… In a new Shorenstein Center discussion paper titled “Digital Fuel of the 21st Century: Innovation through Open Data and the Network Effect,” [Viveck] Kundra[, who served as Chief Information Officer for the Obama Administration (2008-11),] makes four specific recommendations to ensure our society continues to build on and benefit from the power of open data and the so-called “network effect” …
- Citizens and NGOs must demand open data in order to fight government corruption, improve accountability and government services.
- Governments must enact legislation to change the default setting of government to be open, transparent and participatory.
- The press must harness the power of the network effect through strategic partnerships and crowdsourcing to cut costs and provide better insights.
- Venture capitalists should invest in startups focused on building companies based on public sector data
For the full text of this article and a link to Kundra’s paper, visit Harvard Kennedy School – The Information Revolution.
- Salesforce.com Hires Former U.S. CIO Vivek Kundra (informationweek.com)
- Salesforce.com hires Vivek Kundra (politico.com)