PODCAST: Gisli Olafsson on Humanitarian Response in a Time of Mass Collaboration
On October 4, 2011, Gisli Olafsson, Emergency Response Director of NetHope, gave a presentation at the Woodrow Wilson Center on how digital volunteer communities and new technologies, like social media and crowd mapping, are revolutionizing the way humanitarian response will be conducted in the future.
- For a short summary of Gisli Olafsson’s presentation click here.
- For a link to a short podcast with Gisli Olafsson click here.
- For a link to an archived video of the full event, Gisli Olafsson’s PPT, and a longer summary of his presentation and the roundtable discussion that followed click here.
- Crowd and Crown: Social Media and Mapping for International Crisis Response (geodatapolicy.wordpress.com)
- Microtasking Advocacy and Humanitarian Response in Somalia (irevolution.net)
Dr. Lea Shanley is the founder and former co-Chair of the Federal Community of Practice on Crowdsourcing and Citizen Science, a vibrant community of 200 federal employees from more than 35 agencies. She is also a co-founding member of the Citizen Science Association. Dr. Shanley recently served as a Presidential Innovation Fellow at NASA, where she helped to foster a culture of open innovation. Prior to this, she founded and directed the Commons Lab at the Wilson Center, served in the US Senate as a Congressional Science Fellow, and worked with local and tribal communities to develop GIS-based decision support systems for city planning, natural resource management, coastal management, and disaster response through the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
Disclaimer: This is a personal blog of links to relevant news, events, and reports, provided for educational purposes only. The opinions and views contained therein are those only of the authors of the original articles. These opinions do not necessarily reflect those of the editor of this blog or or associated organizations.
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
- RT @BioCollectives: .@WIRED @m_e_rhodes Great Read on #SidewaysDictionary by #Google tech incubator - The price of using analogies? @TheWil… 1 year ago
- RT @BioCollectives: Don’t know what a honeypot is? This plug-in uses analogies to make security terms totally understandable https://t.co/4… 1 year ago
- 131,428 hits