Statement on Licensure and Certification of GIS Professionals
From Directions Magazine “Worth a Click”:
Submitted by David DiBiase, April 27, 2011, John A. Dutton e-Education Institute
“My one-year term as president of the GIS Certification Institute (GISCI) ended today. I fulfilled my pledge to help prepare a serious proposal to strengthen GISP certification, to shepherd the proposal through a formal public review, and to bring recommendations forward to the Board of Directors for consideration and vote. During my term the Board acknowledged publicly the need to update GISP certification. Moving forward, the 2011-12 GISCI Board is now debating the merits of further recommendations–including a mandatory competency-based examination. My one regret about my presidency is that we failed as an organization to take a stand about the legitimacy of the GIS profession and the value of voluntary certification. Here’s a statement I drafted. The statement is purely my own and is not endorsed by GISCI.” …
For full text of the article, via Statement on Licensure and Certification of GIS Professionals | John A. Dutton e-Education Institute.
- Is an Exam in Your Future? Past, Present, Future of GIS Certification (geodatapolicy.wordpress.com)
- Anxiety, Confusion Over Potential New GISP Requirements (geodatapolicy.wordpress.com)
- Special Directions OnPoint: GIS Certification Guidelines (pdgisusers.org)
- GISCI Board of Directors Announces Resolution to Update the GISP Certification Process (geodatapolicy.wordpress.com)
Tags: David DiBiase, geographic information system, Geographic Information Systems Certification Institute, Geography, Geospatial, GIS, GIS Certification Institute, GISP, Licensure, News and Events, Social Sciences
Lea Shanley is the Founder and former Director of the Commons Lab of the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars. She is currently serving as a Presidential Innovation Fellow at NASA and GSA's 18F innovation team on crowdsourcing and citizen science.
Disclaimer: This is a personal blog of links to relevant news, events, and reports, provided for educational purposes only. The opinions and views contained therein are those only of the authors of the original articles. These opinions do not necessarily reflect those of the editor of this blog or or associated organizations.
- Reference Data Challenge lnkd.in/eS3Xzv4 5 days ago
- Watch NASA TV NOW for live event w/ Pluto New Horizons mission team #PlutoFlyby #askNASA http://t.co/k8sRqD3ufV 2 weeks ago
- Eye On Earth Alliance Calling Citizen Scientists wilsoncommonslab.org/2015/07/30/eye… http://t.co/ACbWJs7LjE 5 days ago
- Eye On Earth Alliance Calling Citizen Scientists wilsoncommonslab.org/2015/07/30/eye… http://t.co/y0yrM5E90m 5 days ago
- 120,132 hits