Administration Efforts to Address Big Data Science and Engineering
October 24, 2012
Suzanne Iacono, deputy assistant director of the National Science Foundation’s Directorate for Computer and Information Science and Engineering will be featured on an InformationWeek Government Webcast, “Act on Big Data,” on Thursday, Oct. 25, 2012 at 2 p.m. ET.
Iacono, who also serves as vice chair of the Big Data Senior Steering Group of the interagency Networking and Information Technology Research and Development (NITRD) Program, will be part of a panel of experts during the webcast. In that role she will provide an update on the Obama administration’s Big Data Initiative.
The webcast is designed to help government information technology professionals understand how to manage the vast volumes of data that government agencies generate and collect, putting them on the leading edge of the Big Data trend. It will underscore an important point that merely storing large quantities of data is not enough; agencies must develop a strategy that puts appropriate systems and processes into place to fully exploit Big Data opportunities. This webcast will help government information technology professionals learn best practices in Big Data management from hands-on experts.
The panel participants are:
- Suzi Iacono, deputy assistant director of NSF’s Directorate on Computer and Information Science and Engineering and co-chair, interagency Big Data Senior Steering Group, NITRD
- Bruce Cerratani, Federal “Big Data” Solutions Architect
- Michael Biddick, CEO, Fusion PPT
- John Foley, Editor, InformationWeek Government
Together they will:
- Examine progress on the White House Big Data Initiative;
- Assess the trends behind the surge in government data;
- Discuss tools and techniques for managing petabyte-size databases and gleaning discoveries from them;
- Identify opportunities for using Big Data to accomplish agency objectives; and
- Explore the critical components of a successful Big Data strategy and discuss how to get started.
Participation is easy, free and virtual. Reserve your seat now on the InformationWeek webcast website.
Lisa-Joy Zgorski, NSF (703) 292-8311 firstname.lastname@example.org
C. Suzanne Iacono, NSF (703) 292-8900 email@example.com
NSF Announces Interagency Progress on Administration’s Big Data Initiative: http://www.nsf.gov/news/news_summ.jsp?cntn_id=125610
NSF Leads Federal Efforts In Big Data: At White House event, NSF Director announces new Big Data solicitation, $10 million Expeditions in Computing award, and awards in cyberinfrastructure, geosciences, training: http://www.nsf.gov/news/news_summ.jsp?cntn_id=123607
Call for Proposals: Core Techniques and Technologies for Advancing Big Data Science & Engineering (BIGDATA): http://www.nsf.gov/funding/pgm_summ.jsp?pims_id=504767
- NSF Awards $50 million for Cybersecure Research Projects (cccblog.org)