FCC, FTC Location Based Services (and Privacy) Forum on Tuesday, June 28th
June 28, 2011 / 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM EDT / FCC, 445 12th Street SW, Washington, DC 20554
The FCC’s Wireless Telecommunications Bureau in consultation with Federal Trade Commission staff will hold a public education forum featuring representatives of telecommunications carriers, technology companies, consumer advocacy groups and academia on June 28, 2011, exploring how consumers can be both smart and secure when realizing the benefits of Location Based Services (LBS). Topics will include: how LBS works; benefits and risks of LBS; consumer DOs and DON’Ts; industry best practices; and what parents should know about location tracking when their children use mobile devices. See the Public Notice for more information.
Audio/video coverage of the meeting will be broadcast live with open captioning over the Internet from the FCC’s web page at www.fcc.gov/live. The FCC’s webcast is free to the public. Those who watch the live video stream of the event may email event-related questions to firstname.lastname@example.org. Depending on the volume of questions and time constraints, the panel moderators will work to respond to as many questions as possible during the workshop.
- FTC, Protecting Consumer Privacy in an Era of Rapid Change, A Proposed Framework for Businesses and Policymakers, Preliminary Staff Report, at 47 (Dec. 2010)
- Internet Policy Task Force, Department of Commerce, Commercial Data Privacy and Innovation in the Internet Economy: A Dynamic Policy Framework, Green Paper, at 63 (Dec. 2010)
- Federal Communications Commission, Connecting America: The National Broadband Plan, FCC Staff Report, at 54 (Mar. 2010),
- FCC steps into privacy debate over location-based data, announcing forum (geodatapolicy.wordpress.com)
- FCC, FTC To Look Into Cellphone Tracking (techdailydose.nationaljournal.com)
- Location-based services worth $10B by 2016 (gigaom.com)
- Apple iPhone Location Tracking Now Targeted By FCC, FTC (slashgear.com)
Tags: Apple, Broadband, consumer advocacy, FCC, Federal Communications Commission, Federal Trade Commission, FTC, Google, Green paper, LBS, Location Based Services Forum, Location Privacy, Location-based service, Mobile phone, National Broadband Map, National Broadband Plan, NTIA, Privacy and Security, Public Policy and Regulation, Social Media, Telecommunications, Washington D.C., Washington DC
Disclaimer: This is a personal blog of links to relevant news, events, and reports, provided for educational purposes only. The opinions and views contained therein are those only of the authors of the original articles. These opinions do not necessarily reflect those of the editor of this blog; the Woodrow Wilson Center; the Science and Technology Innovation Program; its staff, scholars, or interns.
- RT @MapGive: Join us & @RedCross to #map4ebola Friday, 8/22 (in person or remotely). Details here meetup.com/MapGive-Mapath… http://t.co/HHQXfK… 1 day ago
- . @AmyDMarcus Looking forward to reading your article. Glad to find you on Twitter! 1 day ago
- Map For Ebola with American Red Cross! wp.me/p1MEA1-mN 4 days ago
- New Blog Post: Monitoring Arms Control Compliance With Web Intelligence wp.me/p1MEA1-mD 1 week ago
- 115,633 hits